Sunday 25 March 2007

City Visit

The girlfriend wanted to go into Nottingham to shop at the Chinese supermarket, so to make a trip out of the drive I suggested we visit Colwick Country Park, one of the top 10 sites in the county, one with plenty of good reports.
Can't be disappointed either, Smew are star birds any day and a nice yearly tick. True to form they were on the smaller lake where the trees overhang the bank. Ever glamourous as they are, as a child I always thought of the drake as being like that fancy ice-cream with the chocolate swirls in it.

Elsewhere the park was quiet, good birds, if nothing so spectacular - Goldeneye, Chiffchaff, large mixed flocks of Linnet and Reed Bunting, and I heard a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker drumming, as per usual for the bird, heard but not seen. 46 species in all.

'Smew Lake'.

I see Red-necked Grebe has been reported on another site in the county today, wonder if I can convinced the girlfriend to make for it tomorrow.

No comments: